Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Here I was, all ready to take the world by storm again - and this beast comes in to rear its ugly head. And so soon. I've only been in remission for FOUR FREAKING MONTHS...give me a break!

My leg became swollen yesterday morning, and instead of freaking out, I thought it was just hormones or something, so I kept it elevated for nearly 24 hours, and was almost positive that it would go down. It didn't. It kept swelling.

So I called my oncologist first thing this morning and explained that I was out of town, and would she rather me wait to see her when I got in town, or go to the ER here in Springfield - they said go to the ER ASAP to get a Doppler (Ultra Sound) and "other tests". I knew with the Doppler that they were worried about a blood clot, which is quite common with people who have had Lymphoma. They didn't need to tell me what they meant by "Other Tests". They meant cancer tests.

So I did both. Luckily, my sister was with me. You know it's REALLY not a good sign when the doctor begins by saying "I don't have good news". I figured it was a blood clot. Which is scary within itself, but doable. Not me. They found a mass on my pelvis, which is 10cm (which is very large for a mass), and destroying part of the bone which its resting on. AND I have a blood clot.

Here I am in the hospital, on IV Heparin (blood thinner), and preparing for tomorrow. My oncologist is supposed to be talking with an oncologist here to talk about what we are to do. I have to be stable before I can travel back to Little Rock to begin treatment, so it's a real possibility that I'll start Chemo here, and then finish up in Little Rock. All the while preparing for a Stem Cell Transplant.

Man. I thought I was done. Looks like I've got another long road ahead of me. But you had best believe, I'll kick its ass for the 2nd time.

No comments: